Venturing into glaciers, seeing waterfalls, hot spring and fjords.
Western Iceland offers a variety of natural wonders in one trip: fjords, glaciers and waterfalls. This beautiful part of Iceland is also where most of the Icelandic Sagas (folklore) were written and is sometimes called the Saga Land.
- Pick up from your hotel or guesthouse in Reykjavík
- The tour takes about 10 hours
- The tour can be customized according to your wishes or specific circumstances
- We provide transport and guiding
- You bring warm clothing, rain gear, hiking boots and lunch
- We start by driving from Reykjavik to the Hvalfjörður. This beautiful fjord gets its name from the large number of whales that could be found and caught there. The innermost part of the fjord shows an interesting mixture of volcanic mountains and green vegetation in summertime. At the end of Hvalfjörður we see the waterfall Glymur. With a cascade of 198 meters, Glymur is the tallest waterfall in Iceland.
- Our first stop is the Thermal Spring Deildartunguhver. This is Europe’s most powerful hot spring. It has a high flow rate of 180 liters/second and the water emerges at 97°C. Water is taken from Deildartunguhver to be used for central heating in the little nearby towns of Borgarnes and Akranes.
- We then visit another waterfall, the picturesque Hraunfossar. Hraunfossar is a series of waterfalls formed by rivulets streaming out of the lava Hallmundarhraun, a lava field created by eruption from volcanoes next to the Langjökull glacier.
- We then arrive at Langjökull, the second largest glacier in Europe or Víðgelmir the longest lava cave in Iceland. Here it is optional to join a tour hosted by the company, Into the Glacier or The Cave . Our Into the Glacier tour guides will take us exploring inside a glacier. The man-made tunnel systems are about 550 meters long and go 30 meters down into the glacier.
- On our way back to Reykjavík you are sure that you have seen the most beautiful waterfall in the world, one of Guðjón’s favorite !
Price from 25.000 ISK